Binge Eating Disorder
People with binge eating disorder repeatedly and uncontrollably consume extreme amounts of food, often resulting in obesity. Guilt, shame, and distress builds. Some people try restrictive dieting, which often ends with another binge eating episode.
Recovery Breaks The Binge Eating Cycle
Binge eating disorder begins with excessive food intake driven by a need to soothe negative emotions. The “comfort” doesn’t last. People with binge eating disorder swing to the other extreme then and begin highly restrictive diets, which often ends in bingeing again—and more negative feelings. It’s more than yo-yo dieting, however. Mental illnesses, such as depression and anxiety, often compound the situation.
Weight gain can produce the complications common to obesity, including high blood pressure and cholesterol levels, cardiovascular disease, and Type 2 diabetes. However, binge eating disorder can affect anyone at any weight level, young or old, male or female.
The Emily Program understands the physical and emotional strain of binge eating disorder. We’re here to help with personalized treatment programs that free you or your loved one from its ravaging ups and downs.
Binge Eating Disorder Warning Signs
A combination of risk factors may cause binge eating, such as family history, genetics, dieting, related psychological conditions, and substance abuse, but no single factor causes binge eating. Some indications include:
- Repeated and frequent excessive food consumption without hunger
- Using food to cope with negative emotions, but feeling distressed, disgusted, guilty, or depressed instead
- No compensatory behaviors to “make up” for the calorie intake, such as purging or over-exercise
- Feelings of loss of control, self-loathing, depression, anxiety, shame
- Obesity and/or health risks linked to obesity (Type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, heart disease, gallbladder disease or other digestive problems)
- Insomnia, joint or muscle pain, and/or headaches
- Menstrual problems
- Suicidal thoughts
Read more about the physical effects of binge eating disorder here.