The Emily Program’s medical and psychiatry services team has decades of experience managing the unique medical and psychiatric complications of eating disorders. Outstanding leaders in the field, our medical and psychiatry services team continues to develop and draw upon the most up-to-date and proven methods of treatment, providing The Emily Program clients with the best in eating disorder care. Take the first step. Schedule an eating disorder assessment or call us today at 1-888-364-5977.
Comprehensive care for eating disorders
Anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, compulsive overeating, or other eating disorders rarely occur without other physical and mental concerns. Eating disorders take a serious, often dangerous, toll on the body. For recovery to happen, the body’s organs and processes have to recover, too. It’s also not uncommon for individuals to experience accompanying mental health issues, such as chemical dependency, anxiety, depression, and trauma. That’s why The Emily Program’s medical and psychiatry services team provides exceptional comprehensive medical and psychiatric care.
The Emily Program’s medical team includes family practice physicians, child, adolescent and adult psychiatrists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, and medical assistants who provide specialty care for evaluating and treating eating disorders. We have decades of experience managing the medical complications that persist with eating disorders.
As an affiliate of the University of Minnesota Medical School, The Emily Program offers the best evidence-based therapy methodologies as part of our integrative approach to eating disorder care. The Emily Program is proud to have Dr. Jen Gaudiani and colleagues at the Gaudiani Clinic of Denver, Colorado contribute to our medical staff training and collaborate via ongoing consultation with medical staff across The Emily Program’s multi-state treatment centers.
We work closely with other members of the care team to continually monitor and address your physical health complications, as needed. Our focus is to:
- Medically stabilize individuals in care
- Monitor weight, blood pressure, heart rate, temperature, labs, and EKG
- Prescribe first-level antidepressants/anti-anxiety medications
- Refer to psychiatric care at The Emily Program and outside of The Emily Program
- Prescribe medication for GI issues such as heartburn, gas, bloating, fullness, constipation
- Prescribe supplements
- Assist clients getting off laxatives
- Recommend appropriate activity level
- Assist with applying for disability or FMLA
- Provide referrals for bone density testing
- Provide referrals for physical therapy
- Refer to primary care physician, dentist, or specialists in GI, cardiology, endocrinology, women’s health
Our highly regarded team of psychiatrists has years of experience treating and researching eating disorders. Psychiatrists are involved in all of our intensive programs and residential care.
For clients receiving medication management through The Emily Program, please take note of our Prescription Refill Guidelines.
Education and support
The medical and psychiatric team at The Emily Program is committed to providing as much education and support as you need. Some issues come up more often than others, especially regarding physical health. Ask us about anything. We’re here to help.
Answers to some common health concerns
The following PDF downloads help to answer some common health concerns.
- Eating Disorders: Critical Points for Early Recognition and Medical Risk Management in the Care of Individuals with Eating Disorders – Download PDF
- Constipation – Download PDF
- Dietary Sources of Iron – Download PDF
- Dietary Sources of Potassium – Download PDF
- Laxative Abuse – Download PDF
- Osteoporosis and Calcium – Download PDF
- What is an EKG and why do I need one? – Download PDF